Thursday, June 28, 2007

stay at home mama

We stayed home today. We seldom do, but I want the kids to know what an old fashioned summer actually feels like. To be honest, Ella said a few days ago that she was tired. I needed to clean out the refridgerator and scrub behind and inside the toilet. And behind and inside everything else we own.

Ri arrived in the late afternoon. In order to describe my mother I'll tell you what she brought with her. Three pounds of calamari, salmon, halibut, farm greenbeans, squash, cantaloupe, savoy cabbages, regular cabbages, organic butter, a few pounds of kimchi, lavender from her garden, a vintage amelia earheart suitcase, Julia Child's "My Life in France", a big Mexican cookbook, two pairs of "trousers" in case of particularly sporting events, wine, and a pint of whisky because she has never in her life had a mint julep.

Little John fell asleep at the dinner table tonight. The poor baby doesn't know how to take a proper nap if we aren't on the go..and in his carseat. He was trying to eat, but his eyes were closing and then he was laughing at himself.

3 comments:

The Mater said...

So, so sweet!

Where can I get a similar outfit for my son? hehehehe

The Mater said...

Omigosh, I love your mama!! We should hang out together.

Ellamama said...

Thank you mater! If you lived in the same state I'd surely have you hanging out together. If you are ever in Virginia....