Monday, February 26, 2007

First tooth


First tooth, originally uploaded by ellajohn.

This is the child who wouldn't pull out the loosest tooth I've ever seen. She waited. And waited. And waited another week, and this morning it fell out into her banana. She put in in her little tooth fairy box under her pillow, and I already exchanged it for a quarter. Next time I'm going to be more prepared with a new toothbrush and floss.

It is hard to believe she is so big. At the doctor's office the other day she was 48 inches tall and weighed 51.4 pounds. She has officially grown out of the 6x. Size 7 is apparently called tween. Thank goodness Hanna Andersson does not recognize the tween, and we have many more years of stripeys to go. Ella likes the way they feel and they don't have any labels on them. I'm trying to keep the children "unbranded" as long as possible. John called me a culture jammer when he saw me sewing a calico applique over a Tommy Hilfinger label on a pair of hand me down overalls. Not quite, but the inspiration is the same. Her current yen is to wear clothes that match her brother. She wants a navy blue sailor dress and she wants him in a sailor one piece. Always the stylist. She is a little fanatical, but I like her style. My main problems are her utter disregard for weather appropriateness. She has issues with layering because it causes bunchiness. The clothes must always feel smooth, hence our love for the Hannas. I never thought I'd be talking about clothes with a five year old, but she has had opinions for a long time. When she was about two she was riding in her stroller through the Gymboree in Portland when she reached out and grabbed a black velvet jumper covered in red cherries. Today, if she saw that in a size seven she would do the same thing.

Yes, of course I got the flu. The whole family, down for the count. John left sunday for a week of work out of town, so at the three of us have been spending lots of quality time on the futon in the living room. We have been drinking juice with reckless abandon and watching all that PBS Kids has to offer.

No comments: