Friday, December 18, 2009

snow

Here we are in the midst of a monster snowstorm the likes of which haven't been seen here in many a year. The national weather service is talking about a band of thundersnow coming up from North Carolina, and as long as the power holds, I'm absolutely thrilled. If the power goes out and we start to freeze I suppose we could walk to Kate and Bob's. Our next house has to have a woodstove.

So, we are supposedly prepared. I made two trips to the grocery store and one to the natural food store. Because it is Christmas I thought being snowed in should at least be extra special, so I stopped for raisins, soy chorizo, and organic leeks. I've got potatoes, the requisite milk, eggs, and bread, cheddar, chutney, butter, a veritable vegetarian pleasure dome.

I don't have whole cloves. I got oranges to make pomanders, and I have half a bottle of dusty old cloves. How much time can two kids spend outside in more than a foot of snow? Our boots aren't that tall. I have a big bag of cinnamon sticks to thread onto yarn for a garland, and there is popcorn to string.

No comments: