Thursday, December 10, 2009

I made my own laundry detergent

We recently made our own laundry detergent with a kit from Rabbit Hill Farm, a fresh clean five gallon bucket, grated soap, borax, and washing soda. Here is a recipe if you want to try this at home. Our original kit contained shaved fels naptha, a laundry soap made by Dial, and I was wondering if I could use a completely plant based soap. Yes. Kirk's Castile Soap is available in a bar form, some people are using their own homemade soaps, and I'm going to try some Dr Bronner's for my next batch. That is, if I ever run out of my five gallon bucket. We use 1/3 cup per load. You can add essential oils to your homemade detergent. Our laundry is lavender. We can feel good about what is touching our skin, what is going down the drain, and we won't be continually buying detergent in a plastic container.

No comments: