Monday, May 21, 2007

kindergarden

I went to kindergarden today to fill out some paperwork and was strangely happy with the experience. The principal was young and well spoken, and Ella's class will have fifteen students. In the office every child that came in was welcomed by name in a heartfelt way. Children were sitting in little reading nooks in the hallways reading quietly. It was shabby yet homey. Driving over there I was ready to see yet another manifestation of redneck Mayberry. I was ready to reveal that I have already signed Ella up for the private school for the first grade, but I kept that one to myself. The custodian came in so cheerfully to help a little boy get his glue open with some pliers. I remembered Mr. Wilson who used to open stuck thermoses when I was in school.

Tomorrow we are skipping school and going to Abingdon to the Barter Theatre to see The Velveteen Rabbit with Isaac.

No comments: