Thursday, March 08, 2007

spring break

The term spring break is a bit odd for me here in Mountaintown. Although the crocuses are blooming, we still have a good ways to go before anything truly warm sets in. Ella's school follows the university schedule, so she is officially on spring break this week. We had Grandmarie for the weekend and the first three days of the week. She was pure salvation for our flu ravaged souls. Who knew you could be saved by a solitary cup of coffee. Or maybe it was the fish cakes. I even got away and got a manicure and pedicure. Decadent. I am.

Ella is still on antibiotics, and big John is still looking skinny and pale. He is still hacking like a tuberculosis patient. That was a bad bug. It laughed at my teas, laughed at my ginger, garlic, and leek soup. The baby seems fully recovered and has even taken to saying a few words this week. Today he held up a finger and said, "ONE".

Ella played with Sasha this morning. She is anxious to get back to school as she only had one day last week. We walked down to the library yesterday and got a nice pile of books. On the way back we picked some pussy willow branches for a vase. The wind was strong but warm on our walk.

I thought I'd accomplish so many things while my mother was here, but I really didn't. Nothing got painted, but I do feel mentally refreshed and ready to tackle some projects. I want to work in the children's room, and I have all of my supplies. They are getting white walls with white trim, new curtain rods, and Ella's bed is getting some vintage inspired scallops around the canopy.

We did make it to the fabric store out in Floyd, and I got some more fat quarters of that great little cat playing the banjo print as well as some other thirties inspired prints. I'm making Ella a name banner of quilt squares for her room. Ri is sewing the children matching sailorish outfits in white and navy. So many projects in the works--that I swear to not buy a single new supply until I catch up.

There are a lot of good things going on here.

No comments: