Saturday, March 10, 2007

food

I spent some time with The Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook this week. It is both homey and stylish, and I was wavering with our family's newfound vegetarianism. The sneaky collard might get me through, but I keep thinking about ordering a home cured country ham from a farm in Kentucky. The book is a good read and an inspiration.

This recipe isn't from the Lee Brothers, but it is worth a try.

::Fish Cakes with Paprika Lemon Mayo::

3 cloves of garlic
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 large egg
1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs or 3 slices of good bread run through the cuisinart
2 T mayo
3/4 tsp ground cumin
salt
1.5 pounds skinless hake or cod, cut into 2" pieces
6 T olive oil

Mayo:
3/4 cup mayo
1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp hot paprika or 1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt

In cuisinart, chop garlic, add onion and puree until finely chopped, add coriander, egg, crumbs, mayo, cumin, and salt and pulse to combine. Add fish and puree until finely chopped. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and form fish into 8 patties. Heat 3 T oil in a large skillet until hat and cook four cakes, turning once--about 6 minutes total. Keep warm while frying second batch. Serve on a bed of fresh spring greens with lemon mayo.
We had these with roasted potatoes with parsely and red cabbage cole slaw. They were devoured with relish by children and adults alike. The leftovers made a great sandwich at lunch the next day on toast with the cole slaw.


I am trying. I must have the late winter food blahs because everything I've made since Christmas seems tired and blah. I keep thinking that I just need some inspiration. I have been reading Vegetarian Times and I just subscribed to Cooking Light. Maybe we can make it though on coleslaw till spring. We joined a CSA for organic produce and that starts in late April, and I'm sure I'll be inspired by some fresh spring greens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally, the fish sounds great, think I'll try it. Another really good southern cookbook you might want to check out is, "The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks (Hardcover)"