Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Five, with friends

Ella's smile says it all about her birthday. She got a pair of red mary janes from the mailman today. We've certainly stretched out the birthday week. She loved her party; she is always happy "with friends". The fierce autumn sun was shining on the bright leaves and they played, ate, and laughed. They found the "goldenrod spider" on the playground. The pinata of my fears turned out quite well, and I was very proud of the children as a group. They cheered each other on and shared the lizards and Smarties when the butterfly finally broke. If there had been margaritas it very well could have been the party of the year.

Ella will remember the little things. The spider. Chicken on a stick with Sasha and Isaac, fried ice cream. Oh, and that crazy haired Dan Zane saying, " Where is Ella?" My favorite was when she said to Nancy after DZ had played two songs, "I'm not sure, but I think that is Dan Zanes." Then she said, "I'm so excited that my seat is vibrating." Later, she realized that Rose was kicking her seat.

I saw so many people at the Dan Zanes show that I remember from my own younger years. I saw two people from William and Mary, both drippping with littles in the nicest way.

I'm so grateful to all the people who helped make it all so special for her.

No comments: