Friday, August 05, 2005

Am I in the Wrong Line?

I have met some very nice women here in Appalachia. I must insert a quick story I heard from one of these nice women this morning. We were talking about what a small town we live in and she said that she hit a deer on MAIN STREET last year.

Anyway, I'm obviously on some sort of mamma circuit...ballet, kindermusik, playgrounds, Kroger, Swim lessons, etc. I have lived here less than a year, and people, more often than not, say "Do I know you from Bible study?" No, I have not been studying that since the early eighties. Pretty much given it up entirely. Maybe my new glasses are screaming bible study 1958. Aren't there any heathens here? We have the best of intentions to start going to the Unitarian Church, and E's new preschool is at the Unitarian Church; we don't feel like we need to go to Church, but we thought the UU's would be a good source of thoughtful intelligent heathens.

Every doctor's office I go into seems to have a bible in the waiting room, and there was Christian rock playing at the dermatologist's office. That is spooky. I did hear some of the Jesus moms talking about consulting this dermatologist at Bible studay about hypoallergenic sunscreen for kids. Maybe this is part of the Bush health care plan....free medical advice at bible study groups.

1 comment:

Dr. Tanya Lyn March said...

Thinking of Bibles everywhere. I thought it was odd that in Vienna the Giddians (sp) only supplied the New Testimate. Also, I have noticed that there is a Bible in the Big Brother house it reminded me of Spain when for a year the Bible was the only reading material in English that I had access to.