Saturday, August 07, 2010

oak


oak, originally uploaded by ellajohn.

I played under this tree when I was little. When I was older I used to get an old quilt, some saltine crackers, and a stack of library books and read for the entire day. The last time we visited Ella got out a quilt and did the same thing. If you've ever been to my house you've seen the big wooden bowl of acorns that I can never resist picking up even though I'll never make that many wool felted acorns in my life.

The tree blew over in the storm two weeks ago, and now is neatly stacked for years of firewood. They think the tree may have been a hundred and fifty years old and was seventeen feet around at the base.



My inner Druid feels sad about the loss of the tree, but I'm thankful it took the path of least resistance, falling on the garden instead of the house or barn.

No comments: