Wednesday, August 18, 2010

cleaned out the pantry

Have you read that new study that connects a western diet with increased allergies, autoimmune disorders, and obesity. Apparently a high fiber vegetarian diet with a termite or two thrown in during the rainy season increases beneficial gut bacteria that can lead to better health.

I did some thinking and cleaned out the pantry. I've been struggling with Ella's desire to be a vegetarian surviving mostly on bread, cheese, and pasta, so we have been talking a lot about vegetables. She doesn't eat raw tomatoes. She doesn't eat eggplant, squash, or cooked mushrooms. Apart from that she is willing to try anything. On the positive side, she does like flavor. On sunday I made a mild buttery potato and pea curry and another dish with lentils, cabbage, and cumin. I served it with coriander chutney, and she loved it. The next night I made miso soup, and a stir fry with tofu, snow peas, broccoli, and spring onions. Another thumbs up. I think I'm going to get her a subscription to Vegetarian Times for her ninth birthday.

So what did I throw out? The marshmallows. Some out of date things. For the most part I just got organized and inspired. I want to take more control over what they eat when they aren't in my house. I'm even looking forward to lunch box season. Four days and counting.

1 comment:

JZP said...

You should let her know that Shiraz loves his vegetables. He's been a good influence on our eating in the last... almost two months.