Wednesday, October 01, 2008

red footprint

John put his tiny converse all star footprint on his baby sister's forehead yesterday. He didn't do it in anger, more of an experiment. He says "I have an idea" about a hundred times a day. That idea was not a good one. The baby was lying between my legs, but I couldn't anticipate that little foot as I was trying to grab his whole body. Ruby was fine in a minute, but that red footprint made me so angry. And guilty. He is experimenting with new emotions and new ways to express himself. His vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds, and he can really explain himself. In three year old fashion. He recently pretended to be angry at TJ, and then burst into laughter and said, "Pretend". I have to remember that he is still so little. Last night he cried because he was afraid Ella was slipping down the bathtub drain.

I've been spending most of my time following Ella around asking her to clean up after her own myriad of projects. We have embraced an absolutely no television policy, and I am loving it. They are both more engaged, attentive, reading more books, making things, the list goes on. I'm tired of "managing" the television. It was pretty minimal and always PBS, but I was tired of doling it out. I'll admit I do miss the monkey dance on Word Girl.

No comments: