Friday, October 03, 2008

mama, I wet

At four in the morning last night I hear a little voice from the next room.

"Mama, I wet."

I have to run downstairs to get a diaper for him. I stand him up, thankful that it is just his pajama bottoms that are wet, not the sheet. I put on the fresh diaper, lie him down, and he is instantly asleep as I pull up his comforter.

This morning as I'm changing him and putting him into his little red cords I realized that in the night I'd strapped him into one of Ruby's tiny diapers.

A few weeks ago I stopped talking about potty learning. John reached a point where he was saying things like, "I not very good at poops", and I backed away from the subject. Last night he ran into the bathroom and pooped on the potty all by himself saying, "I could do this every day!" Perhaps the end is in sight. Two in diapers is like being in the poop and pee chain gang.

I am using cloth diapers with Miss Ruby and any day now I'm going to wax poetic about it. I wish I had started this years ago.

Sometimes I just look at Ella and say, "Do you know how very happy I am that you know how to use the toilet?".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the moms in the toddler room where I work uses cloth diapers and it seems to easy (to watch her do it) - her child also has been sitting on the potty since 5 mos and at one year goes consistently in the potty, never poops in her diaper)...and I wish that I had the courage/motivation to try it.
p.s. I am working at the lab today and just noticed that there is an order here for you - a roll of b/w prints from 2005! Ella's bday party I believe and baby John. If you're ever in the area you might pick them up :-)
Kat