Saturday, December 10, 2005

Santa House

Dont' ever buy a house that closes two weeks before Christmas. It is, ahem, limiting. I am thrilled to be getting a house for Christmas-- it is the best present ever. I just want to do Christmasy things for Ella. I just finished buying her some things from Santa. A few weeks ago I got her a wooden toaster for her kitchen, a beading set with alphabet beads, and a build your own model of the solar system kit. Today I ordered her the iron/ ironing board from Magic Cabin, "Through the Year" by Elsa Beskow, and some little wooden people to use in a dollhouse or with her trains/blocks...any pretend that calls for a little people family. I hadn't thought about stocking things, but I think I'll go to Michaels and get her clothespins, yarn for a clothesline, and other little crafty things.
We are about to have a playroom. Miracle. I think one of our first acts as homeowners will be to take carload of little furniture to the playroom. There is a playhut tent in the middle of the living room right now, and her dream was to make orange juice out of a clementine using her hands. Foiled again.

This afternoon J has gone to school and we are making a bird book of birds we see in our backyard. We have some "blank books" from great aunt Teri, about five or six pages with a square at the top for an illustration and lines at the bottom for the story, so we are drawing the blue jay, cardinal, and downy woodpecker. I think we might do better with paint because the white crayon is making her mad. She wants to make white spots or stripes over the other colors, and it just doesn't work. Conceptually, she just doesn't see that she can leave it blank.

No comments: