Thursday, July 19, 2007

Meme, Me

Smokey Mountain Breakdown: 8 Random Facts Meme

Rosie, I'm breaking the rules as well, but there are more than enough random facts to go around.

1. I love the smell of skunk. I will roll down the car windows at the first whiff of a skunk. I also love the smell of candlesmoke and woodsmoke.

2. I used to know a guy named Tim in Williamsburg who lived next door to where Georgia O'Keefe lived in 1902. He was obsessed with all things Asian, and made me my first pot of Thai red chili shrimp. It was absolutely incendiary. One night a small crowd of us smoked some opium and I spent the rest of the night sitting in a honeysuckle covered ditch talking about Thomas Pynchon. It was one of those profoundly humid nights in Tidewater, Virginia that never seems to truly get dark.

3. My husband and I were friends for twelve years before we ever went on a date. He used to date a friend of mine, well, two friends of mine. At one point I asked someone, "Why is she dating him?; He isn't the kind of guy you date...he is the kind of guy you marry. "

4. I swam in the James River within sight of the nuclear power facility. Being in Williamsburg this past week reminded me of many of my youthful indiscretions.

5. I would like to have more children, but I think that I am too old.

6. I once went to the Mozart Festival in Salzburg, Austria.

7. I have a driving phobia that I am slowly conquering. I didn't drive for five years when I lived in Portland.

8. I love cemeteries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't #4 in the buff by moonlight if I recall the story?

Ellamama said...

Being the southern lady that I am, I was wearing pearls. (pause) I was twenty, people. I had no mind.