Saturday, May 05, 2012

eye

eye by oyabakamama
eye, a photo by oyabakamama on Flickr.

I am starting another photography course with the lovely Vivienne McMaster this month. May is such a full month, but I'm going to dive in anyway. Each time I sign up for the class I'm very excited, and then the trepidation sets it. What am I doing? I'm taking a class about how to do my least favorite thing--take pictures of myself? It is so much more than that. When I think about Vivienne's classes I am reminded of the line by Mary Oliver, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Well, I'm going to romp around in fields of flowers this month. I'm going to build a chicken run and take pictures of an abandoned house in my neighborhood before it gets torn down. I might even use all those dials and menus on my camera. I am turning 46 this month. I'm yarnbombing a tree with  a group of elementary school kids.  I'm going to take the kids to the pond to see the baby geese. I'll paint my picnic table blue, smell the peonies, plant herbs, till, mow, and plant tomatoes. I bought enough seeds to plant three hundred and forty feet of basil plants. That's a lot of pesto.

What do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

1 comment:

Colette said...

I drean of yarn bombing one of the trees in my school playground too! I am a school teacher also. I LOVE WOOL. I look forward to seeing more of your self portraits and thoughts.