Tuesday, September 21, 2010

genuine beehive


blues, originally uploaded by ellajohn.

Ruby, Papa, and I went to the Bristol Rhythm and 'Roots Reunion this past weekend, spending three days walking the main street in downtown Bristol listening to lots of great music. Bristol is always great for people watching. Just one hundred and ten miles from our own little sleepy town, the festival crowd is just a little more twangy. There are cowboy hats, cowboy boots, western shirts, tattoos, and long sideburns. Older gentlemen sport a hairstyle I've always called "the swoop", and I saw one genuine beehive.

My first show of the festival was on the "folklife" stage in an old vacant department store. I walked through the heavy glass double doors and Del McCoury starts to sing "1952 Vincent Black Lightening. The first song of the festival was my absolute favorite Richard Thompson song.

I liked the Grit Pixies, Phil Wiggins, Missy Raines and the New Hip, MSG Acoustic Blues Trio, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Ruby enjoyed riding around in a red wagon, peanut ice cream and the Green Light's spicy tempeh peanut wrap.

So, we went for the bluegrass and stayed for the Piedmont blues, a side order of funk, and Yarn. I'm looking forward to putting on my boots next year.

No comments: