Tuesday, March 02, 2010

needle

Because my husband is so very groovy, he sent me on a virtual scavenger hunt for Valentine's Day. A google map led me to this incredible patch of forest to meet with an acupuncturist. I was met by a friendly dog and walked up the drive in the snow. I would swear that there were faeries there and certainly a few ghosts. I crossed a small arched bridge and entered her round healing house. In a cloud of bergamot and spearmint, she put four needles in my ears, one in my right wrist, and many in my left foot. I was left alone in a humming room with a view of the woods. My brain continued it's usual chatter, but I felt warm and floaty.

Solitude is what I crave right now, so I had a perfect day. Afterwards, I went out to lunch by myself and drank cup after cup of spiced tea in an indian restaurant. Then I fingered the yarn at a local yarnshop. I bought some Malabrigo Aquarella in a lavender, blue, rose colorway to finish an over the top Waldorf doll for Ella. She has long grey hair with the lavender woven through it and a circlet of felt oak leaves and needle felted acorns. I've been wanting to experiment with making dolls that are not young girls, and I am inspired by the mother earth character in The Root Children.

Everyone is asleep, and I can sit with my tea and Ravelry. A friend showed me how to knit Continental style as opposed to English, and I can't wait to try it. Isn't life all about learning and unlearning? Picking or throwing? What shall it be?

1 comment:

Jess said...

Picking all the way. But I taught a friend to knit and she throws... and knits faster and tighter than anyone I know. Her fabric looks almost machine made. I have no illusions that either method is better. It's what you choose to DO with your skill.

And thanks for the link to Yellow Springs. I occasionally have to spend time in Blacksburg and this might make those visits more rewarding.