Tuesday, August 04, 2009

high summer

I can tell I'm nuch busier this summer than last because I don't seem to have time to take pictures of my weekly CSA haul. It is finally hot here, but fall is lurking. Today we got a huge cantaloupe, peaches, nectarines, early apples, green beans, purple potatoes, basil, lettuce, small leeks, pattypans, zucchini, garlic, and tomatoes, and eggs.

The flower is growing on the mammoth sunflower in our front yard, and we are counting the days until school starts, twenty. Can go to the lake three more times? Is there a weekend for camping? Can we eat a few more ears of corn?

John turns four on monday, and we are having a party on sunday. I realized today that there is a whole group of people, all of my friends here in Smalltown, who have never known me when I wasn't pregnant or nursing. Ruby will be fourteen months old next week. She still isn't walking but is starting to stand without holding on to anything. She boldly climbed the steps this weekend, and I had to run out and get a baby gate. She is happy to be in the midst of whatever the other two are doing and she dons her "costume" with gusto.

We need to pick raspberries. The spiders are starting to build their webs.

No comments: