Sunday, December 28, 2008

Breakin' Up Christmas

Hooray Jake, hooray John
Breakin’ up Christmas all night long
Santa Claus come, done and gone
Breaking up Christmas right straight along
Don’t you remember a long time ago
The old folks danced the doesey-doe


I was singing this to myself this afternoon wondered if I had posted about it last year when I read it in Hillbilly Savants. I was thinking today about how fun it would be to have an old time dance in my imaginary farmhouse of the future. Next year, the year after.

My brother and his wife came over for the afternoon, and he fried up a batch of oysters. My mother made a pot of mussels, collard greens, "the" potato salad, a green salad, homemade rolls, and pound cake. There was Guiness, irish music, and the cutting of trees with a chainsaw. Little John loved that part and helped with the stick collecting. The littles collected a huge basket of giant acorns and were outside all afternoon. It was so grey but nearly seventy degrees. We sat outside tonight until it was dark and a bat was out hunting above the garden.

No comments: