Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Kids and Television on NPR

In case you missed the NPR segment on kids and television advertising, here is the link. We certainly have our share of requests for princess anything around here, and we don't watch any of those television shows. It is almost impossible to shield her from the Disney princess world when the other kids at school are wearing it on their clothes and playing it in their homes. Have you ever felt a Disney princess dress up? It is like wearing a plastic bag lined with chicken wire.

Ditto on that Bratz toothbrush in my downstairs bathroom. My new strategy is to not vehemently reject these objects that appear in my house. I think that makes them more enticing to her. She prances in front of me in her Hello Kitty shirt asking me how much I like it. I'll say, "I like cats." Whatever happened to rainbows and unicorns and kittens?

No comments: