Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Squirrelly Nights

Last night was night four of John sleeping in his crib all night. The first two nights were amazing. The second two were pretty horrible. Last night I almost gave up. He screamed for almost an hour when he went in. Ella slept through this. Then he woke up and nursed and took up the screaming again. Ella woke up and got in bed with me. Then the squirrel started scratching around in the wall of my bedroom, sounding like a four foot squirrel scratching on styrofoam or a chalkboard. You could hear it all over the house. I was beating the walls with my fists to scare him out, but he was not to be flushed out into the cold night air last night. John says I'm really a Provo now that I've beat the walls in an attempt to get a good nights sleep. The baby wakes again, and I take him downstairs to nurse. At this point I'm ready to co-sleep and breastfeed him until he goes to middle school if everyone will just let me go to bed.

My husband was a saint this morning. First, he didn't go to work. He took both the kids downstairs and let me sleep in until ten thirty. Then he took a ladder out on a three foot deck two floors up in the airand stuffed steel wool into the squirrel's entry hole.

PS. I was out in the yard on the way to the library and noticed that the squirrel has a large hole in the side of the house through which he comes into our bedroom wall. It is two stories up, really three considering the walk out basement level. This will require professional help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John says I'm really a Provo now that I've beat the walls in an attempt to get a good

This had me laughing very hard.