Sunday, January 28, 2007

annie's quilt


annie's quilt, originally uploaded by ellajohn.

I wanted to make a doll quilt for Ella while the kids were studying quilts at school. My original intention was to let her actually stitch parts of it, but she choose to go her own was with my scraps. Grandmarie sent her a little woven sewing box with a silver thimble, and I gave her a pincushion with some pearl topped pins. She has wanted dreadfully sharp objects of her own for years. I got some muslin and was going to make a cathedral window quilt for another doll, one yet to be made, but Ella suddenly wanted "colorful patchwork, nine patch". She picked some fabrics from my stash and put the pieces in a "pat-ter-en" on the dining room table. As she learned more about how quilts were made, I put this one together at night, adding some appliques on the back. The colors are nice for Annie.

No comments: